Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sappho

(H. T. Wharton translations thanks to this site)

Stand face to face, friend ... and unveil the grace in thine eyes.

That man seems to me peer of gods, who sits in thy presence, and hears close to him thy sweet speech and lovely laughter; that indeed makes my heart flutter in my bosom. For when I see thee but a little, I have no utterance left, my tongue is broken down, and straightway a subtle fire has run under my skin, with my eyes I have no sight, my ears ring, sweat pours down, and a trembling seizes all my body; I am paler than grass, and seem in my madness little better than one dead. But I must dare all, since one so poor ...

The stars about the fair moon in their turn hide their bright face when she at about her full lights up all earth with silver.

He who is fair to look upon is [good], and he who is good will soon be fair also.

No one maiden I think shall at any time see the sunlight that shall be as wise as thou.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home